4th UPDATE ON CURRENT TRAVEL SITUATION IN JAPAN
News from ICAO - Current Radiation Levels in Japan and Travel Advice
01 April, 2011 – Radioactive material from the damaged Fukushima Daiichi plant is gradually spreading outside Japan into the global atmosphere but at extremely low concentrations that do not present health or transportation safety hazards, according to the United Nations organizations closely monitoring the situation.
Japanese authorities confirm that all airports in the country, with the exception of Sendai which was affected by the tsunami of 11 March, continue to operate normally for both international and domestic operations. Continuous monitoring around these airports confirms that radiation levels are well within safe limits from a health perspective.
Japanese authorities also confirm that all international seaports not damaged by the earthquake and tsunami are operating normally and that no health risk has been detected around the ports, based on the results of measurements of radiation levels by local governments.
Screening for radiation of passengers arriving from Japan is currently considered unnecessary at airports or seaports around the world.
The UN agencies involved in the monitoring process are the World Health Organization (WHO), the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), the International Maritime Organization (ITMO), the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and the World Tourism Organization (WTO).
Further information is available on the website of the World Health Organization - www.who.int
For visitors in Japan, the Tourist Information Centre is providing travel information 24 hours/day until further notice, and can be reached at (03)3201-3331
*Japan Travel Advice issued by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
*Transportation, Embassies, and all other Pertinent Information
More Recent News:
- Japan Monthly Web Magazine - December 2014
- Must-have Handbook for Driving in Hokkaido
- Japan Monthly Web Magazine - August 2014
- Japan Monthly Web Magazine - June 2014
- The latest craze in Tokyo： Robot Restaurant, the most awesome place in the world！
- Take a Sip of Japan! “Japanese Sake & Shochu Campaign” continues!
- Japan Monthly Web Magazine - May 2014
- La Folle Journée au Japon “Days of Enthusiasm” Music Festival 2014 - Jours de Fêtes -
- Japan Monthly Web Magazine - April 2014
- DISCOVER THE SPIRIT OF JAPAN